Human Rights Commitee (ICCPR)
The Human Rights Committee, monitors implementation of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (1966) and its optional protocols, the first of which gives the Committee competence to examine individual complaints with regard to alleged violations of the Covenant by States parties.
The Center for Civil and Political Rights has prepared NGO Guidelines on the reporting process of the Human Rights Committee.
IDA monitors the work of the Human Rights Committee and advocates for the mainstreaming of disability rights in the carrying out of its mandate.
Here below you can find information about the recent session of the Human Rights Committee. For detailed information on past sessions of the Human Rights Committee, please click the link "View All Sessions" at the bottom of this page.
The Human Rights Committee held its 106th session from 15 October – 2 November 2012.
- IDA´s disability analysis of the Concluding Observations
- IDA’s proposed recommendations for the Concluding Observations
- Joint submission by the Philippine Coalition on the CRPD & IDA on the Philippines
- Joint submission by ISL, DPI & IDA on Germany
- IDA’s disability analysis of state reports on Bosnia & Herzegovina, Côte d'Ivoire, Germany, Philippines, Portugal and Turkey
Task Forces (To adopt List of Issues and List of Issues Prior to Reporting)
The Human Rights Committee also adopted list of issues on Albania, Belize (in the absence of a report) Finland, Hong Kong, Ukraine, and the list of issues prior to reporting on Australia. The List of Issues adopted during this session are available on the Committee´s website.
- IDA’s proposed questions for the list of issues
- Joint submission by FDF, EDF & IDA on Finland
- Joint submission by PWDA, AFDO, WWDA, PDF, DPI & IDA on Australia
- IDA’s disability analysis state reports of Finland, Hong Kong, Ukraine
Day of General Discussion
The Human Rights Committee held a half day of general discussion in preparation for a General Comment on Article 9 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (right to liberty and security). It took place on 25 October 2012. Several NGOs were present, including IDA on behalf of WNUSP, II, & DSI. The Committee aims to have a first draft of the General Comment by their next session in March 2013.
Related documents & links:
- The note adopted by the Committee which identifies issues to be addressed in the General Comment
- Further information available on the Committee's website
- Joint submission by WNUSP, II, DSI & IDA on the right to liberty: the application of Article 9 of the ICCPR to disability-based detention and institutionalisation, as informed by related provisions in the CRPD
The Human Rights Committee also adopted a paper on its relationship with National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs).
Paper on the relationship between the Human Rights Committee and NHRIs